"In everything give thanks......." 1 Thess 5:18

Our journal and glimpses of an active, contented life in country Australia

Saturday, April 24, 2010

ANZAC Day - Lest We Forget


Tomorrow is ANZAC *day in Australia, the day to remember those lost and affected by war. Even people who are not 'religious' are stirred by the memories as most have lost or had a family member disabled in war. More than 330,000 Australians served in WW1, 60,000 killed and 152,000 wounded.
In WW11, over 993,000 served overseas. This from a country with a population of  approx 7 million in 1939. There have been other conflicts as well e.g. Korea and Vietnam, and the current war and peace-keeping situations.
Every year there is a news item or two that ANZAC is now irrelevant, and they are always howled down and the perpetrator forced to retract.  The services and marches are attracting more people than ever and the march in Sydney is on National TV from 9.00am to 12.30pm, followed by the Gallipoli Dawn Service and at 1.30pm to 2.30pm, and at 2.30pm, the service in France.
(Click The Ode for webpage)
The Ode
They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
The line Lest we forget is often added to the end of the ode, which is repeated in response by those listening. In Australia, Canada and New Zealand (and often in the United Kingdom), the final line of the ode, "We will remember them", is repeated in response




* Australian and New Zealand Army Corps





***************************************************
Many families bake ANZAC buiscuits at this time of year as in remembrance of the traditional biscuits baked by anxious wives and mothers during World War I. They keep well and were packed in food parcels, and sent to the Australian soldiers in the trenches.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
125g (4oz) butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon water

Preheat oven to 300F (150C)

Mix oats, flour, sugar and coconut together.
Melt syrup and butter together.
Mix soda with boiling water and add to melted butter and syrup.
Add to dry ingredients.
Place 1 tablespoonfuls of mixture on greased tray (allow room for spreading).
Bake for 20 minutes.
Loosen while warm, cool on trays.
(makes about 35)

 

All pics from web.

Please see all the posts for Sings my Soul Saturdays and meet Amy

Richest Blessings - Jan




10 comments:

Tania said...

This is a nice post Jan.

Our ANZAC's are special

Enjoy your day tomorrow.

xTania

Mocha with Linda said...

That's wonderful. I'd never heard of ANZAC.

Missie said...

Great pick for this Saturday! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading about this. It's good to keep remembering and honoring those who fought wars and are fallen and those who fought and returned. Brave souls!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. I have enjoyed hearing from you.
I ended up on your travel blog and looked a few of your slides - saw some Texas sunsets. Y'all have been here? (Texas)?
I us the NKJV especially for the blog b/c I can insert it from Bible Gateway. I study out of NASB but love going to the NKJV.
See ya next time, Jenn

Karin said...

Just had to google what ANZAC stood for. Now I know! Interesting post Jan! Enjoyed your post on your autumn, our spring time. Love to learn about other places on this wonderful earth which God has made! Have a great week-end!

Debbie Petras said...

This was very interesting! I didn't know all of this. I've been watching a miniseries called "The Pacific" by Tom Hanks. It is about WWII and there was much about the role of the Australians. So many of the American servicemen were welcomed in your ports. It warmed my heart to see this and now to read your account.

Blessings,
Debbie

Heli gunner Tom said...

I was delightfully surprised to see your post today! I have a good friend in 'Oz' who is an Combat Veteran of the Aussie Army in Vietnam.
I am a disabled Vietnam Vet too: 68-70, and also a Soldier of Jesus Christ. I write a Christian based blog: TOM'S JOURNAL.
i like you blog and pix.

Regards,
Tom S
tschuckman@aol.com

Cathy said...

The video is a special tribute to them. Thanks for sharing about it with us. Blessings ~

Glennis said...

I am so glad I came back to your blog, otherwise I would have missed this AMZAC post/
I had never heard the first verse of the ode, and what a heart touching verse it is
The young soldiers going into battle with songs in their hearts and dying facing their foe, they were so brave.
This day will never be irrelevant in out culture.
Well written.

Glennis said...

Thank you Jan, once again I am glad I came back, I read the whole ode to my Husband, we were both moved. But the 2 verses you used are quite the best.