"In everything give thanks......." 1 Thess 5:18

Our journal and glimpses of an active, contented life in country Australia

Saturday, November 24, 2012


"GETTING IN THE MOOD FOR CHRISTMAS"
 
 
 I do feel the Christmas Season creeping up on me. Many of you may still have visitors for Thanksgiving, or are putting your feet up after the Black Friday Sales, but we don't have those here, and end of year functions are underway.
 
Whilst it would be ideal to have a quiet, reflective Christmas on a nice tropical island, it is not going to happen, and, living in a community, we do get swept along to a certain extent.  However, we don't do Santa and reindeers and all that culture, at home or in our concerts.
 
Many of the numbers in the One Voice Choir concert I attended this week were Christmas Carols, and I left the venue feeling the Chistmas season is upon us.  "Carols and Fireworks" is on along the road tonight and  the Christmas party for one of the organisations we belong to, tomorrow. 
 
Christmas Blues
I first became aware of Christmas Blues when I was in a church with quite a few 30+ single people who got quite depressed that life hadn't panned out how they had hoped and they suffered for a few weeks around their birthday, and felt the same around Christmas: no-one liked them, no-one had invited them.  That is the time for them to be proactive and make some arrangements with others in the same boat, go into the Christmas season confidently with plans.
 
As my son always works (on the Gold Coast) over Christmas, and we are not travelling to Sydney to see all the relatives there, we are having Christmas with close friends, and I've decided how I'm doing the ham and a few other things. 
 
Hoping that the Christmas season will be a happy and holy time for you and your loved ones.
Hugs and Blessings,
Jan

5 comments:

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

What you say is so true. We don't do Santa either and try to keep things simple and focused. As you say choosing a right attitude and a good plan makes a huge difference.

Amanda said...

I love the Christmas season!! I love celebrating the true meaning of Christmas (so the Santa Clauses don't do much for me, either.) I have been listening to Christmas music and watching Christmas movies for the last few weeks. (I start early!) :) Thanks so much for sharing and for the link-up! I hope you and yours have a beautiful start to the Christmas season!! Have a blessed day!

Joyful said...

I agree with you Jan. I've never understood why people get so down in the dumps if they have no family to share with. Whenever I've been alone, I invite someone over or I plan to spend a quiet Christmas just relaxing. However one year, a friend just could not abide me being alone and insisted I travel with her to visit her family. I did join her because it was a nice gesture on her part. I would have rather enjoyed staying home though because I needed a break from work, lol. My Christmas is usually low key. I have a small tree but the gifts are strictly to a minimum and often none at all. I like the spirit of the season rather than the commercialization. Enjoy your ham. xx

retired not tired said...

I can understand why people become depressed over the holidays. They want Christmas to be like the postcards and the stories they see and hear. Giving of themselves to help others can help themselves. Personally I love Christmas!

Claudya Martinez said...

I think your advice about being proactive is GOLDEN.