"In everything give thanks......." 1 Thess 5:18

Our journal and glimpses of an active, contented life in country Australia

Saturday, November 10, 2012

SIX WORD SATURDAY

Joining in with Cate
OUR INTERESTING DAY AT COMMUNITY GARDEN.

We knew that our town has a community garden and had walked by now and again to see how it was going. Then we saw in the paper there was to be an open day today, so decided to attend.

As you know we have our own vege garden, but I thought we might get some tips, and the local Garden Guru, Phil Dudman, who broadcasts nationally on ABC Radio was to be in attendance.
  
I can report it was a very interesting day, with guest speakers, and demonstrations of making a compost heap, and Phil's idea for an experimental garden plot.  Lunch was provided and I was particularly interested in the lightly steamed sweet potato stems and leaves in one of the salads.

The final session was on biodynamics and planting by the moon, illustrated with charts.

They were asking people to join, and we did, though we are not interested in having a plot. They would like members to help on Tuesdays, but that is not a good day for us. 

The next open day they will be making a cob pizza oven. I am looking forward to seeing that.

Love and Blessings


16 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Tho I myself am nearing mid 60s in age, I still remember my grandmother 'swore' that gardening should be done by the moon phases. Funny, how when you grow older things like that pop up in your mind after reading something that you shared today in your post.

AND...reading your fragments----I wish WE had your rain. It's been such a long time and the drought still lingers.

Jim said...

Nice, Jan, I am glad you could attend. Anni reminded me that if at all possible we planted our potatoes at a full moon time. I think it was the May one.

Thank you for your visit and nice comment. Our buskers we call street musicians, street singers, street mimes, etc. Or if hey don't perform, we call them beggars.
..

Jan said...

Hi Anni, I wish I had heard about gardening by the moon before now, I only read about it a few months ago, and it makes a lot of sense... sometimes I plant... and nothing happens for a few weeks, and another time, they shoot straight up, made me realise that it is to do with the phases of the moon.

Lovely rain last night and gentle rain today, so thankful not accompanied by wind or a storm. Hope you get the rain you need soon.

Jan said...

Nice to hear from you, Jim. Love your last sentence. must admit we don't get beggars around here, and the buskers are reasonably talented.

Elaine said...

I've heard of planting by the moon - a friend was trying it and she and I planted the same seeds except she planted them by the moon and I didn't. We never did find out the results as both of us lost most of our seedlings to slugs!

Unknown said...

Community gardens are a great idea and gardening seems to be being lost on the younger ones - my big ol' tough and rough hubby has plenty of vegies growing in our garden and it's all lessons that his grandmother passed down from his childhood when she had an acre block for her vegie garden.

Wayne W Smith said...

This looks like it was a great project!

retired not tired said...

Mu husband is the gardener and I enjoy the fruits of his labours.

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful and day well worth the trip!

Joyful said...

The garden design looks quite beautiful on paper. Perhaps you will share some photos of the actual garden whenever it is in bloom ;-) Your post reminded me that there is a new garden not far from where I live. I'd applied for a plot there but am on a waiting list of about 6 years last time I checked. I leave my name there hoping it will be faster. Enjoy your weekend.x

21 Wits said...

So happy the buskers are mostly talented! What fun- and something I would have been so eager to attend too!

Anonymous said...

great project! out here we were told never to plant anything before 5pm - think that might have had more to do with the daytime temperatures in Porutgal!

restlessjo said...

It must be great to be involved in a project like this. I'm not very green fingered, but I mostly don't need to be. (my husband designs gardens for a living)

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

What a wonderful idea! There is a small community garden at Pottsville Beach Neighbourhood Centre; I must find out if they are in a position to contemplate such open days.

Jan said...

Sorry Jo I could not find your blog or reply.

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Hello Jan, that sounded very interesting and enjoyable. I would never think of eating sweet potato stems or leaves... there is so much food we throw away in ignorance. If times get bad we need to know these things.. I lived in an Italian marriage for 29yrs and we made our own bread oven. It was shaped out of bricks like an igloo. Wood was burned inside until the bricks turned white from the heat. Then all the wood got racked out and loaves of bread and later pizza was baked.. It taste wonderful! I have never had it so good since then. xx