"In everything give thanks......." 1 Thess 5:18

Our journal and glimpses of an active, contented life in country Australia

Thursday, November 08, 2012

Pondering on Thursday

Photobucket
The topic for Pondering with a Purpose this week at Brenda's Hop is Independent
 
My first thought is of the Independents in our federal government who have a lot of power as neither  of the main parties obtained the numbers to form government and secret deals were done by the Labour party to secure the votes of the Independents and thus govenment.
 
And do I think of myself as an independent person? Yes, but I am wise enough to know when to draw on my husband for assistance, a good example today.  I collected my bicycle wheel from the repair shop, and when I returned to the car, Barry noticed immediately that the quick release lever was missing.  As I don't know much about it, I took him along when I went back to the shop. First of all they said it wasn't on the wheel when we took it in, and I would not have known, but Barry was able to convince them it was, and we left with one, even though it may not have been our original.
 
Looking back over the years, I am happy with my level of independence, travelling to UK and Europe on my own, working in the city, even doing long boat deliveries, the most memorable from Yeppoon QLD down coast of NSW, across Bass  Strait to St Helens in Tasmania, in a 10 meter crab boat, that one just with the master mariner.
 
Another source of independence is of course money, and in early years decisions were made for me, but since about 1980 anyway I have not had to ask for money and whilst we share the bills and large items are discussed, we have always kept our money separate, and each make up our own minds on our expenditure.
 
Love and Blessings.

9 comments:

retired not tired said...

I like your take on independance as well. My mother has always had a "mad" money fund. She says she will use it when she gets mad.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

There are times in my life when I surprised myself at the independence I had shown, especially since I have matured...This is a good thing!!! Have a wonderful day! Cathy

Tami AKA My Kid's Mom said...

Traveling on your own definitely makes an independent person.

Marti said...

Money often is such a source of trouble. When I was married, I had to ask to buy shoes for the kids. That is not right. I always worked, but had no control over my money. Now, I enjoy being able to make monetary decisions. I especially enjoy this independence.

Anonymous said...

Jan it is so nice of you to join in on the Pondering with a Purpose hop.
I love that you included the Independent party from your government... and I think that Wayne at Touristic said it best when he said he was interdependent... sounds like that is how you are with Barry.
Thanks for pondering with me!

Judy said...

I also thought of money as a source of independence. It just gives us so much freedom to not rely on the government or anybody else for those temporal needs. Happy to be following you!

Stacy said...

I never thought of it, but I do depend on my husband for mechanical things that I am clueless about. The traveling sounds like it would have been fun.

HeY J said...

Jan....Janice here I had to change my blog so I am here now please come over :)
Loved your post happy day :)
lovingtheday22.blogspot.com

Wayne W Smith said...

Travelling on one's own is quite tough. A nice story all around.