"In everything give thanks......." 1 Thess 5:18

Our journal and glimpses of an active, contented life in country Australia

Friday, November 23, 2012

Friday

Time to think back over the week and jot down our Friday Fragments.
 
### We were expecting friends to stay in their motorhome Sunday night to Tuesday morning on their way back to their homebase from Brisbane, as friend Peter was keen for Barry to take him out to Frank's farm for the day to try out his new bow and arrow.  However with all the rain we had, Frank said they wouldn't be able get past the front gate at the farm. Then there was a good chance they might get bogged if they came into our yard, so it was called off.  However Peter said "we still might call in"...... well I cut him off at the pass on that one.  We would have been home if they were definately calling in, but we were cancelling one of our favourite times of the week, our Monday morning music session with Glennys.
 
Do you think it is rude for people to expect you to stay home in case they 'might call in'?


Pics of the farm

### Wednesday was our last concert for November and it was for a Seniors Club, rather than in a nursing home, and I don't know why, but I get a bit stressed about these, the choice of songs etc, and yet they always go wonderfully well, watching the people's faces and their obvious enjoyment, and being complimented that they knew all the songs this time.... I wonder what other artists present to them......  LOL.
Pic of Barry leaving the venue.
 
### My dear friend Lynn phoned with the news that her sister who had cancer has died in Ireland. Their prayers were answered that it would not happen right on Christmas, for the family's sake.
 
### Attended the One Voice Choir concert last night with Glennys. Beautiful singing, including some very old numbers that we don't usually hear.
 
### Do hope you will join me with a "My Sunday Quote" this week.

Joining in with Mrs4444 at Friday Fragments

Have a great weekend!
Hugs and Blessings,
Jan

18 comments:

Joyful said...

Sounds like things are "hopping" for you Jan. I'm glad you're keeping busy and your concert went well. I am like you. I don't wait around for "mights" or "maybes". If people want to get together I have to have a definite yes so I can plan around it ;-) If I only get a maybe, I just ahead with whatever plans might come up in the meantime ;-) Sorry to hear about your friend's loss. I'm glad her family's prayers were answered. Enjoy your up coming weekend. xx

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Busy week and glad you didn't wait for a maybe call from your friend. Hopefully they understood. A quiet house right now as all the company is gone and daughter went over to see her friend that's here from TX and Phil took my brother back to the train station. So am catching up on my blogging which I've done nil this week! Amazing people still read my blog! HA! Have a good week and God's blessings to you!

Jan said...

I'm happy to have people call in unannounced, if they happen to be in the area, but they need to call if they want to make sure we are home, (and get an invite for a meal...LOL). These would have been making a detour off the main road from Brisbane to Yamba, so I needed to let them know that if it was "maybe", we would not be home. xx

Jan said...

Yes, I've found people in Blogland here are very forgiving and generous when we come back, should we neglect our blog for a while.
Lovely you had visitors and enjoyed their company, but we do appreciate the time we have to ourselves too. xx

retired not tired said...

Our door is always open however we do not wait around for people to visit. Hubby always has something he can cook up however we tend to portion our meals these days so we would like a heads up if you want to come and see us. What a wonderful way to spend your retirement. I can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Keetha Broyles said...


Hmmmmm - I've never had anyone TELL me they "might" stop in under all those same scenarios, so not sure how I'd answer.

Wayne W Smith said...

I will leave a key at the ____ if we are not home. Just come on in...:-) That is our solution to the problem.

Ann in the UP said...

I miss people "dropping in" as they used to do to my parents, but I'd consider it rude if they expected me to stay home because they "might" come by.

About the music, I've noticed people in Assisted Living who know every word of every Frank Sinatra tune, but can't remember how to put their socks on. Amazing!

Claudya Martinez said...

I consider it pretty ridiculous for someone to expect me to stay home just in case they "might" come by. That's just silly. I mean they are welcome to try, but if I'm not there it's because I "might" be out.

R said...

I love the way you are so active and busy!
And no, I wouldn't have stayed home either "in case of ..." People are welcome, I stay home when I'm certain of their visit, but "maybe" isn't good enough. ;)

Jan said...

No reason for them to come in while we are out, Wayne, they are in a RV, they would only be coming to see us.

Jan said...

LOL... just trying to think if anyone else has suggested they "might" call in, it is mainly this couple.

Jan said...

Yes we love people calling in for tea or coffee but people don't expect a meal unless it is organised ahead.
Yes singing has given our retirement a lift and we meet lovely people.

Jan said...

Yes, even the bedridden residents tap their hands or feet, and it is good to see they can still hear.
On Wednesday it was a more active Seniors Group who are picked from their homes and brought to the venue in buses.

Jan said...

I had to make it clear that we would not be in unless they were definately coming, as they would have made approx 80+km round trip detour off the highway to get to our town.

Jan said...

Thanks Riete, and we are thankful we can enjoy our retirement.
Totally agree "maybe" is not good enough among friends.... bad enough when we have to stay home for a tradesman, but that is another story!

Unknown said...

Nowadays, no one appreciates someone saying they may drop in. I recall when I was young, my mother's parents made a point to stay home on Sunday, waiting for drop ins. I recall that my father's parents were often the persons who toured the neighborhoods and dropped in for a coffee or a chat on Sunday. My mom misses those type of family coffee chats now that she is older.

Jan said...

Yes, I think people dropped in more in previous generations. We have some friends who still apprciate it