"In everything give thanks......." 1 Thess 5:18

Our journal and glimpses of an active, contented life in country Australia

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Spiritual Sunday

How often do we think that we have no gifts to use for Him. I know that was a problem for me. I know He is looking for our love and obedience, but at the same time we want to find what we can do to make a difference, what we can offer Him.  Some of us see ourselves as ordinary, weak, uneducated, and say how could He use me?  We cannot let our negative ideas of ourselves stop us from doing what He wants to do through us.

There are so many ways we can show His love, helping out at the church goodwill shop, smiling and validating the needy who shop there, at the nursing homes, on the pastoral care team, singing, or even playing cards with the residents, delivering meals-on-wheels to the shutins, being on the transport team to take the elderly to their medical appointments, working with young people, all with the love of Jesus..... every community can use a helping hand.

I see a paperback on my shelf that I bought a while ago and have not read yet. It addresses this subject. It is Called and Accountable (Discovering your Place in God's Eternal Purpose) by Henry & Norman and from reading the back cover and flicking through it, I think it will be valuable to study.

The preface concludes with the words : It is our hope and prayer that this book will be an encouragement to many of God's people to wholeheartedly live out God's call upon their lives, and we pray that studying Called and Accountable will result in each reader being enabled to "walk worthy of the calling with which they were called" Ephesians 4:1.

Today I am linking in at Spiritual Sunday with Charlotte and Ginger for the first time.


With blessings,
Jan



12 comments:

Joyful said...

Wonderful post! It is always good to encourage others to use their gifts. We all have so many if we stop and think about it :-)

Jan said...

Yes, and thank you for your comment, and of course there are so many gifts.... I was thinking about that before I came back to the computer, and the time when I thought I didn't have any. I see that between 28 and 32 have been identified per sites on google.
Blessings,
Jan

The Quintessential Magpie said...

There are just so many ways to help others, and even blogging (especially blogging) can be a help. I like to encourage other bloggers, and I'd like to think the Lord smiles on that.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Jan said...

A very good point, Sheila, I lost sight of that when I jotted down this little par this morning.
hugs,
Jan

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Jan, I'm back to say, one lemon ginger cupcake coming right up! :-)

XO,

Sheila

Arti said...

Such a wonderful post... Yes God needs only love from us but the most important thing I feel is to have faith in Him in all situations...
Have a blessed week ahead:-)
My Yatra Diary...

Nikki (Sarah) said...

good post...there are so many things to do to reach out and give back.☺☺☺

Tonya said...

wonderful post Jan and that book sounds really good. I'm going to check around and see if I can find it. Blessings.

INSIDE THE SHRINK said...

I have found that having the Lord Jesus Christ as my Saviour and walking in the Spirit as He helps me, all I have to do is be myself and wherever I am, He uses something. It might be just a smile, or opening a door, or taking the time to sit with a hurting friend. It might mean giving when it is difficult to give. But it happens as a result of being one of His. Great post and God use and bless you, Dr. Bobbi

Charlotte said...

Thank you for sharing this thoughtful message, Jan. Bless you for wanting to find ways you can serve. I know He will show you ways as you seek to do His will. He knows your heart. Thank you for sharing yours with us.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Hiya Jan, You sound much like me. Its a while since I visit. Yes we all have gifts from Him to share. You sound like you do beautifully. I would like to do more..yet it will happen again in time. Watching a documentary on Haiti made me desire to go and help there. We are so blessed here in this country. With the floods we are still able to drink fresh water, receive food, and have somewhere to live. Yes my heart went out to those poor people. God Bless you. CML

Pamela said...

My passion is encouragement and there are so many ways to do this. A worthy list you shared here. I call it "sheltering" and envision a tree, reaching leafy branches to the hurting and needy. Knowing we are somebody with God gives us a purpose for encouraging.