"In everything give thanks......." 1 Thess 5:18

Our journal and glimpses of an active, contented life in country Australia

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Having a go at Hodge Podge!


1. Noah Webster was born this week back in 1758....besides the online version, do you own a dictionary? Do you ever use the hardback copy or is your hunt for a definition strictly online these days?

I own several dicionaries, but they sit on the shelf while I quickly google if I have the need to check a word.

2. Should public schools ban Halloween celebrations? What about other holiday celebrations currently under fire?

Halloween is not a big deal in Australia I am glad to say.   Haven't heard of other holidays under fire, though occasionally I read about someone objecting to Chrismas Carols, but not around here.

3. What's your favorite 'dog' movie?

I haven't seen a movie for years, but I did love that dog in Flashdance. Anyone remember that movie?
4. When were you last somewhere you'd describe as 'too quiet'?

I love quiet!!!!!
5. Are you a neat cook or a messy cook? In other words do you clean as you go or make a big mess and then deal with it later?

I'm a meal in 15 minutes cook, or one pot dishes, though we eat a lot of raw foods.
6. Did you hear about Felix Baumgartner, the skydiver who broke the sound barrier via parachute? Was your first thought COOL! or was your first thought CRAZY! Are you adventurous?

Yes, thrilled that Felix completed his mission successfully. I have been adventurous, kayaking, archery, living on an ocean-going yacht for five years, but a bit past it now!

7. What's not a word but should be?

It'll come to me at 3am tomorrow morning!!
8. Insert your own random thought here.

I was impressed by Felix's quote:
"When I was standing there on top of the world, you become so humble, you do not think about breaking records anymore, you do not think about gaining scientific data.
The only thing you want is to come back alive,'' he said after the jump.


See more Hodge Podge with Joyce here

Love and Blessings,
Jan



8 comments:

J.Day said...

I loved that quote by Felix as well. I can only imagine his view. While I'm terrified of heights, I would love to see the Earth from space. I just think that would be the most beautiful thing to see in person. I do envy the astronauts their view of home.

Jocelyn said...

Glad Australia isn't having bans on celebrations! And love that you're a one pot/15 minutes cook :)

April said...

That is a great quote, I agree! I still can't wrap my head around what he actually did! I love peace and quiet, too...I relish in it! I'm your newest follower!

Jhona O. said...

Such a great quote from a man who could easily have thought that he was bigger than life itself! I am longing for peace and quiet. Nice to visit you! Have a great day!

Tami said...

I was wondering what holidays Austraila has that the US does not?

Jan said...

Tami, I know you are asking about National holidays such as Thanksgiving, but first let me say that Australians in work have four weeks annual leave with 17% loading..... that is we got 4 weeks pay plus 17%.
We have New Years Day, Australia Day 26th January, Good Friday and Easter Monday, ANZAC Day, Queens Birthday (2nd Monday June our state), Bank holiday first Monday August, Labour Day first Monday October, a day for annual show and a picnic day, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. The areas that have a racing track also get half day for their big race of the year. When I worked the picnic day was usually between Christmas and New Year for an extra day off then. Some firms do have an actual picnic day out for the staff.

Unknown said...

I think Halloween is getting more noticed here now as all the cheap shops stock Halloween costumes etc, Thankfully Halloween falls around the time of our Jacaranda festival so hopefully people will dress up for that and not Halloween. If we were to adopt a US holiday I would rather we adopted Thanksgiving- we should all be thankful for what the Lord has given us!

Joyce said...

Halloween was a bit confusing in the UK too it seemed...they weren't quite sure if they wanted to embrace it or not. Where we lived all the kids knew the American homes : )

Felix= amazing!