"In everything give thanks......." 1 Thess 5:18

Our journal and glimpses of an active, contented life in country Australia

Friday, January 24, 2014

Looking through my photos to catch up

Some major catching up to do in my journal.

In 2013 took on a lot with the Community Garden, their 8 A5 page Newsletter every month, retyping it onto the webpage I set up for it, and their Facebook too.  The November Issue includes a blow-by-blow instruction on how to ferment vegetables at home, which are an important part of our diet for probiotics.

I don't garden there as we have a demanding garden at home, but I usually end up over there for the informal lunch on Wednesdays.


At the end of November we were invited up to the Gold Coast QLD for may wonderful daughter-in-law Emi's birthday. We were there for a few days, and Emi wanted to spend the actual day in a beautiful national park Springbook to the west.  We walked down to the waterfall, and very pleased we had done it afterwards.  It was a long haul back to the top.




Finished the celebration with the four of us sharing one of those enormous seafood platters.

Our  first concert  for December was the Christmas party for the volunteers for all the Caroona homes in Lismore, with attendance of 100+ . Those present were honoured for their volunteering, in 5 year increments, and one lady had been visiting the homes for 55 years.



After that we had a tragedy in the family on Russell Island QLD.  We cancelled the rest of the concerts for December.  We travelled up there and went out to sea for the scattering of the ashes, and the Memorial Service a few days later.  

from Facebook

 One of my favourite views west of Byron Bay NSW on the trip.

We returned home the day before Christmas, and we kept to our plan to have Christmas with friends at our place. Some thought we wouldn't do it, but all the planning and something else to think about I find helpful.

We've been out riding on our bikes without coming to grief.
I admired these street trees near the shopping centre that I would not have noticed when driving.

After being inspired seeing a ukulele group in a rotunda at Grafton on the way home from a trip south, we are starting a music group at the community garden this coming Saturday.  All instruments that people can bring with them are welcome, guitar, ukulele, mandolin, etc, as well as people who like to sing and others who just want to come along.  It will be interesting to see who turns up as 22 people have said they are coming.  We have a couple of beginners and we know most of them as they previously attended the Monday Night group which was walk-up with mikes and amplification.  This is harmony hopefully - "Playing along, singing a song - side by side", no solos, mikes or amplification - sitting around in a circle, with instrument tuned, keeping time, in the same key.

The issue was how to provide the music, one group we were in sent an email with six new songs per month.  However I googled and decided to follow the example of a group in UK that puts out a book to start with.  I have used a few songs from the Lismore group and chorded and added the ukulele chord illustrations to make up 40 songs, which took me a couple of weeks.  Was able to add number of gospels as everyone but two of the people are regular worshippers.

My most recent photo with the moon after sunset. I caught this at last light, it was dark shortly afterwards.
If anyone reads this, many blessings, and a happy and healthy year.
God Bless,
Jan

8 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

The National Park looks lovely and that is some large platter!!! So sorry about the tragedy. ((HUGS)) Is that a grandson you lost. You have been so busy. I have you in my Feedly account but this post hasn't shown up yet.
All the best to you in 2014.....

Jan said...

Hi Debby,
Thank you for your comment. Yes, a son of DHs daughter. Tyson rode his new bicycle that his great grandmother on his father's side had just given him for Christmas straight across the road in front of a car.

I have not heard of Feedly account, I will try to find out about it. There are so many new things, I haven't come to terms with Google+ or Pinterest, and haven't got into Twitter either.

Love and Blessings.
Jan

Joyful said...

HI Jan, nice to read from you again. I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your family member. Some go too soon for those of us left behind.

I'm glad you are keeping busy with many fine things to do. I too join a community group of people to make a meal together on Monday nights & eat communally. I find I really enjoy this outing. It is a simple thing to do and builds community relationships not just the usual friend relationships that we make at church and in the community as we are working and sharing with folks we might not ordinarily meet in our own social scenes.

I like all of your scenery and I'm glad to see you are finding all kinds of ways to enjoy your retirement. Blessings. xx

diane b said...

You sure have been busy. Sorry to hear of your loss and so young too. Take care on those bikes.Well done climbing in Springbrook. It is lovely there. We have a Ukulele group in our U3A district of Logan. Its all the rage now. The class is full for next term already.

Jan said...

Thank you Penny for your kind comment.

Yes it is good to be busy especially in the community. We are fortunate we have the opportunities to get out and meet people and enjoy their company.

That is nice that you appreciate my photos, and my recount of our activities. With all best wishes for your activities too.

With love and Blessings. xx

Jan said...

Thank you, Diane, lovely to hear from you. Yes we enjoyed Springbrook, as we had not heard of it before.

Have you taken up the Ukulele? We attended a group in Lismore for a while.... but ours is not exclusively for ukes, other instruments welcome, as well as singers and listeners. It went so well, and will have a photo in next blog.
Lots of love.

Dorothy said...

Jan, I'm so sorry to hear of your grandson's passing. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

I love reading about the various activities you and your husband share with the community. Bless you both. xx

Jan said...

Thank you Dotti,

I love keeping up with your activities too, and your page always so elegant and appealing.

With love and Blessings. xx